Tuesday, May 1, 2012

What's in a name? The Lifter Up of My Head

From time to time, I'll be doing posts on the names of God. Why? Because God has many names and the more names we know, the better we get to KNOW God. The whole purpose of this exercise is knowing more about God and learn how to use these names in our prayers, worship & praise.

THE LIFTER UP OF MY HEAD is found in Psalm 3:3
This title for God expresses a confidence in God.

CONFIDENCE: 
We live in a day when much of what we hear around us is "I can't." "I can't quit smoking"; "I can't go on in this marriage"; "I can't keep doing this job"; "I can't control my temper"; "I can't stop drinking"--the list is long but you get the picture. Each of us is prone to saying "I can't" about something. But the Apostle Paul tells us how to break the "I can't" syndrome. He says in Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Another version puts it, "I have the strength to face all conditions by the power that Christ gives me."

The Psalmist says the same thing when he puts it simply, "You lift my head high" (Message Bible, Ps. 3:3)
Another version says, "...my wonderful God gives me courage" (NCV, Ps. 3:3)

WHAT'S IN THIS NAME?
David was running for his life from his treacherous son, Absalom, who was out to kill him, and in the midst of this dire circumstance, David introduces us to the Lord as the "Lifter Up of My Head." In Psalm 3, he is declaring his confidence in the Lord's mighty power to deliver him. He's expressing his confidence that God has the situation under control and that He will protect and defend him. 

The Psalm begins with, "Lord, how they have increased who trouble me! Many are they who rise up against me. Many are they who say of me, "There is no help for him in God" (Psalm 3:1-2). But Psalm 3 ends with David's declaration of confidence in the Lord: "Salvation belongs to the Lord. Your blessing is upon Your people" (Psalm 3:8).

In Psalm 3:3, we see the picture of Christ as the Lifter Up of My Head. He will not forget us when opposition arises. He will come to our defense, even though our current circumstances seem to point to failure or defeat or unbelief. David in Psalm 3:3 is exalting God in a confession of faith as the One who is able to restore whatever man or the Enemy has robbed or seized, whether it be a title, position, authority, place, person, health, etc. 

PRAYING THIS NAME: 
When praying the name of Jesus, the Lifter Up of My Head, I am placing my confidence in God. He knows all my weaknesses and He knows where I need to be encouraged and strengthened. The term "lift up" comes from the Hebrew word ruhm which means to raise up or build a house, to cause a plant to grow by watering it, to place someone in a safe place.

So by praying and putting my faith in Jesus as The Lifter Up of My Head, I am removing "can't" from my vocabulary. I am now trusting in God's strength to raise my children, do my job, accomplish those tasks that are before me today. I am looking to Him for to provide for me and protect me in all the circumstances that I face today.


As I pray to Jesus as The Lifter Up of My Head, I am looking to Him to raise me up from depression, fear, worry, temptation, defeat, etc. If you feel yourself being dragged down, almost like you are stuck in quicksand and your circumstances are about to consume you. In the midst of your helplessness, call out to God as The Lifter Up of Your Head. Trust in Him to deliver you and once again, set your feet upon solid ground, and bring stability, security and strength back into your life.

PRAY SOMETHING LIKE THIS:

Lord, you know my weaknesses and the struggle that I am currently going through. You know my foolish ways. Lord, at this moment, I am depressed, discouraged and weak because of the sin and failure in my life. So often, I lose confidence in your goodness and mercy. So often, I fail to see that You are for me and not against me. So often, I am trying to face my daily struggles in my own strength, and I end up defeated. 

Lord, I thank you that You are the Lifter Up of My Head. You are the One who takes me in your arms and lifts me up from sinking in the quicksand of despair. You are the One who Lifts Up My Head this day so that  I have confidence and courage to face whatever comes my way. You are the One who encourages me and renews my strength. I know that with your help, I can do all things because You, my Lord, are the One who strengthens me. Thank-you that I am in a safe place this day because I am in You.

I face this day with You, my Lord as the Lifter Up of my head. You alone are my Hope, my Strength, my Shield and my Defender, my God in whom I will trust.

In the name of Jesus, the Lord God Almighty,
Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment