Google "food justice" and you'll get an idea that here is another movement of "whiners" percolating just beneath the surface.
I'm sure many of you reading this are ready to sign-up for the food justice movement. You probably lost sleep last night because you were worrying about the current food injustice that exists here in America.
What am I talking about? What is Tracie McMillan talking about in her book, "The American Way of Eating?" I won't link to her book because I would hope you have better things to do with your time. This is an author who has apparently hates capitalism. It oozes out her writings.
Food justice is about everybody in the U.S. at any place, being able to eat fresh, well-prepared food. Now, that means that if you have access to a Caesar salad and choose to eat a Big Mac, Ms. McMillan and the food Nazis will help you make the right choice by taxing the Big Mac or your Dairy Queen Blizzard. If you don't think this can happen, just look at the attack on cigarettes with a move on to even make it illegal to smoke in your own car or home. You see, whatever the group, be they smoke Nazis or food Nazis, they are not happy until they can control and regulate how you live your life.
If you don't believe me, just look at what the Food Nazis have done in public schools. In most schools, kids can't buy a Coke, or candy bar. Some schools in Chicago and North Carolina are not allowing kids to bring certain items in their school lunches. Many schools already ban anything made with peanut butter. How did we ever survive growing up eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? In many schools, students go through the lunch line and are told that they have to choose at least one healthy item like carrots or broccoli which invariably gets thrown in the trash.
This just in (5/31/12): NY Bans Over-sized sugary drinks (front page headline in USA Today). The proposed first-in-the-nation ban would impose a 16-ounce limit on the size of sweetened drinks sold at restaurants, movie theaters, sports venues and street carts. It would apply to bottled drinks as well as fountain sodas. (This is what I'm talking about.) The Food Nazis know better than you what you should eat & drink. So first, it's sugary sodas which area already banned from many public schools. Then it will be sugary snacks. Then Quarter-pounders, and KFC fried chicken. This is only the beginning. The Food Nazis will not be happy until you diet consists of tofu, salads and hummus. Don't get me wrong, I eat as much hummus as the next guy, and love salads. But it's my choice. I don't want it being forced down my throat by Michael Bloomberg in NYC or some other bureaucrat.
- What would it take for all of us to eat healthy? But why stop there.
- What would it take for all of us to have a new car?
- What would it take for all of us to have 52" flat screen tvs along with a high-def DVR?
- What would it take for all of us to have access to free birth control pills?
- What would it take for all of us to have a summer home on the beach?
- What would it take for all of us to air conditioning?
- What would it take for all of us to have free prescriptions?
- What would it take for all of us to have free childcare?
- What would it take for all of us to have free tuition to the college or university of our choice?
- What would it take for all of us to have free medical care? (Oh, we've already got it. Obamacare.)