Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Renee and I step back into the dark ages. We embark on a grand experiment.

Saturday's the day! Some people think I'm insane and maybe they're right--I'm less than three days away from being cut-off from civilization. In less then three days, Renee and I enter the dark ages. Sometime Saturday, the two satellite dishes atop our roof will stop receiving any signals from the DISH HD satellites.

This Saturday, we pack up and send our 2 HD DVRs back to DISH Network.This is a big deal! Some think we've lost our mind, getting rid of television 4 wks.into the football season. No more NFL football on Sunday afternoons, or Sunday evenings, or Monday night football on ESPN. I could go on, but you get the idea. 
Three weeks into the fall television season, we will no longer receive Survivor, The Amazing Race, or Revolution. This is serious stuff. No longer can I miss the start of a game or a TV show and then start it from the beginning an hour later from the beginning, zapping commercials and watching a 3-hour game in 90-minutes.

Sadly, I will truly miss the Fox News Channel. My friend, Bart, gives me 2 weeks before I call up Dish network and beg them to put a rush on reconnecting my dishes. However, I think we'll be able to last a bit  longer than two weeks. This is an experiment. Can we survive this next year with no live TV service?

In the interest of full disclosure, I must tell you that we are still have the internet and we have subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu Plus.

Finally, I was raised on television and have nothing but fond memories of watching TV. I remember seeing Neil Armstrong walk on the moon. I remember when space launches were a big deal and we got up at 4am to watch the countdown.

We were the first on our street to have color television in the days when the only thing in color was the Flintstones, the Jetsons and Travelogues. In the early 80s, we were one of the first families to have stereo television when it was a big deal to watch and listen to Miami Vice in stereo. With the advent of DVRs, we were one of the first families in our area of New Hampshire to get a DVR, as well as going high definition. I say all this to let you know that I'm not a TV-hater. I don't watch Christian TV which could be the subject of one or more future posts. I like TV and have enjoyed it since I was a little kid. So, we'll see how this goes.

If nothing else, I know I'll have more time to read, study the Word, pray and get together with friends. Down the road, Renee and I may come to regret this decision or we may find it to be liberating. We'll see. Stay tuned as we embark on this grand experiment.


No comments:

Post a Comment