In case you haven't heard, Armageddon arrives early this year, on Friday, March 1, when the Sequester kicks in. The President is out campaigning trying to paint this as a crisis of epic proportions, and his willing accomplices in the media are helping him spread the message of "doom and gloom." These catastrophic cuts will mean that people will be dying in the street, children will go hungry and we will be forced to buy rancid meat at the market, and there will be intolerable suffering--or at least that's what the President and the media want us to believe.
Here's how Liberals play this game of cuts. As Jonah Goldberg points out in his column, if an agency has a billion-dollar budget, and someone proposes cutting a dollar from their increase in funding, that dollar will be earmarked for the screw needed to keep a bridge from collapsing on a grade school's Thanksgiving parade. You see this played out in public schools all the time. If there is any decrease in funding, instead of cutting some unnecessary program that will affect very few students, the first cut they make is to the athletic program--no more sports, and no more after-school programs.
By the way, this sequester was Pres. Obama's idea, and Gloria Borger (TIME Mag., CNN) said last weekend on CNN's Newsroom with Wolf Blitzer that this was a manufactured crisis, manufactured by Obama himself. No kidding, she actually told us the truth and actually said that this was Pres. Obama's manufactured crisis--his own doing.
Here are just a few of the cataclysmic consequences, assembled by ABC News, that we will suffer if the Sequester goes into effect:
- Air travel disruption
- Longer security lines
- Greater risk of wildfires
- A nationwide shortage of meat and poultry
- 175,000 would be at risk for homelessness
- Longer waits for disability payments
- The nation will be at greater risk for terrorism. Less surveillance
- One-third cutback in the Pacific naval fleet
- The FBI would have to use broken equipment.
- No maintenance for some ships and airplanes
- Fewer OSHA inspections. Greater risk of injuries and deaths.
- Less nuclear waste cleanup
- Greater risk of suicides
- No matinees at the movie theaters during the week.
- Schools will have to cut 2-hours from their school day.
- You guessed it--no more school sports programs.
- Garbage will only be picked up once every other week.
- There will be 2 fewer hours in the day, and fewer days of summer.
- More cloud cover and greater chance for solar blackout.
- More electrical blackouts
- No toilet use during the afternoon hours from 1-4 pm.
All of this because the Sequester will cut barely 2% of the federal budget. Have you ever had to cut 2% from your budget? Families and businesses do it all the time. It's a fact of life. But with the government, it turns into Armageddon, or the Day After. The fact is: President Obama doesn't want to cut a single dime. Instead he wants more taxes and MORE spending, and guess who will pay for it? Your kids, your grand-kids and your great grand-kids. They will be stuck holding the tab for all the debt and wasteful spending that Obama and the Democrats (along with help from many Republicans) have saddled on future generations.