Here's what President Obama has said about China:
"China is making investments in the future...they're making investments in infrastructure...we USED to have the best infrastructure in the world...had the best roads, the best airports, the best ports, the best highways, the best internet service, now we're second, we're third, we're fifteenth, we're twenty-first, we can't win that way...listen, Abraham Lincoln helped build the intercontinental railroad in the middle of the Civil War..."
|Golden Gate Bridge, built in 4 yrs (1933-1937)|
Once again, we have the President of the United States "running down" the U.S. in comparison to China.
I believe in American exceptionalism. I believe in American ingenuity--just look at Apple and the new iPad. I believe that we can do whatever we set our minds to do as a nation.
- We built the Golden Gate Bridge in just over 4 yrs (from 1933-1937) and 11 men died during its construction.
- We built the Hoover Dam in five years (1930-1935) and an estimated 112 deaths occurred which included a drowning as well as heat-related deaths. The Hoover Dam provides water to over 25-million people in the Southwest.
- The Panama Canal was built in 10 yrs (from 1904-1914).
- The Brooklyn Bridge was built in 13 yrs. At the time, it was the longest suspension bridge in the world (from 1870-1883).
|Hoover Dam, built in 5 yrs (from 1930 - 1935)|
But, having said that, here's why we could not accomplish these same feats today in the same amount of time, and why China can run circles around us as far as building bridges, highways, etc.:
- EPA (The Environmental Protection Agency)
- ESA (The Endangered Species' Act)
- Army Core of Engineers
- Labor Unions
- Federal regulations (otherwise known as "red tape")
- OSHA (Occupational, Safety, Health Administration)
These are the 6 culprits which comprise the reason why we CANNOT compete with the Chinese.
|Panama Canal built in 10 yrs (from 1904 - 1914)|
|Brooklyn Bridge built in 13 yrs. (1870-1883)|
The Hoover Dam could NOT be built today because of endangered species act, the Army Core of Engineers (a bunch of environmental-whackos) who care more about endangered fish, snails, rats, owls than they do about the progress and well-being of our nation, and the added expense of union labor along with thousands of pages of regulations which would make this cost-prohibitive. Also, the moment one person was killed or seriously injured, the entire project would be shut down for safety evaluations and fines.
So keep all this in mind the next time you hear our President praising China and deriding America as second, third, or fifteenth to the rest of the world in its infrastructure.